It happened at the original Burger King on Charleston Avenue. The general manager says they smelled smoke when they arrived for work Thursday morning. It was about 9:30 am, so they started looking around to see where the smell was coming from.
Workers found smoke coming from one of the heater vents, so they evacuated the building and called for help. Crews were able to put out the fire.
The general manager says she's grateful since the entire building could have burned to the ground. She says it was a furnace fire and nothing else inside the restaurant was damaged. She says they're just lucky they were able to catch it when they did.
They spent most of the day cleaning up, but were back open by 4 pm. Workers had to sanitize everything before they could let customers in.