The generosity of people in Vermilion County is what the family has to thank. The past week is pretty much a blur. The couple says they still can't believe everything that's happened in that short span of time, but they're grateful to everyone who has helped them find a new place to call home.
Lorie Pate just got engaged on Valentine's Day to the man she was married to decades ago. They were ready to continue their lives together. But eight days later, an electrical fire destroyed their home.
"The first two days was the shock of it,"said Pate. "And then it was like, 'okay, we got to buckle down and figure out what do we do now?'"
Pate and her fiancee Ronnie Hoshauer were scrambling to figure out what to do. After a few days, their prayers were answered.
"Sunday night's when we found out about the house, so that was kind of a relief," said Pate.
"It just seemed like everything clicked at one point," said Hoshauer.
A family friend found them a place to stay. Then Hoshauer's co-workers stepped in.
"Bunch of them went out last night on their supper break and bought new sheets, pillows, comforters, bath towels and stuff like that," said Hoshauer. "The people at work have really surprised me. I didn't realize they'd go as far as they have."
Other people in the community donated a couch and mattress. Now the couple feels right at home in Fithian.
"Whenever we're passing somebody, they wave at us," said Pate. "To me, that tells a lot about a town."
This couple, taking a second chance at love, now gets a second home. And they said this experience will only make them closer.
"Just take it day-to-day and we'll get everything back together," said Hoshauer. "It may take us awhile, but we'll get there."
Thursday will be the first night in their new home. It's right across the street from the Fithian Fire Department.