"It was a little bit of an adrenaline rush I guess," says a student who recalls trying to escape a fire in the apartment next door.
The building caught fire because police say a student was making smoke bombs. However, one resident says everyone inside worked together to get out safely.
Before the sun came up, emergency lights lit John Street Wednesday. Police say it's because Austin Povilaitis was in his apartment on the second floor cooking chemicals on his stove. Gary Hendricks lives across the hall.
"I heard the explosion, actually because I am right by it. Then I heard people yelling, smelled some smoke," says Hendricks.
Hendricks says he could hardly see, but spent precious minutes checking on his neighbors.
"Made sure the one girl across the hall was out of the way. Mostly other people were making sure everyone was out, throwing rocks at the windows, running around the first floor making sure everyone was out. I actually had to break out my screen and jump out the second floor as well," says Hendricks.
Police say the chemicals Povilaitis was using caught fire. He tried throwing a couch on the stove to put it out, and his friend had to jump out the second story window to escape.
"Me and two other guys caught a guy who was jumping out of his apartment right here," says Hendricks.
22-year old Povilaitis was arrested and charged with reckless conduct and criminal damage to property. He had minor injuries and was the only resident in the building who was hurt.
Hendricks says there's one good thing to come out of it, "I am sure everyone will get back on their feet. Everyone knows each other now, so that's one good thing."