Sweet Potato Gnocchi
1/2 pound red-skinned sweet potatoes or yams
1/2 pound Russet potato
6 ounces of ricotta cheese
1 ounce parmesan cheese (finely grated)
2 Tbs packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons fresh sage
1. Heat oven to 425 F.
2. Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.. Place on baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes (until fork tender)
alternative step: if you're in a rush, you can microwave the potatoes for 5 minutes on each side (or until fork tender). Make sure to puncture holes into the potato.
3. Immediately, scoop out flesh and pass through a potato ricer (or use a cheese grater or a fork).
4. Stir in ricotta cheese. Incorporate well.
5. Mix in Parmesan cheese, brown sugar, salt, and nutmeg
6. Mix in flour 1/2 cup at a time (do not over flour! It will make the gnocchi dense)
7. Form dough (do not overwork)
8. Section into smaller pieces and roll 1/2 inch thick strips
9. Cut 1/2 inch pieces from strips and indent each gnocchi with fork
10. Bring a large, heavily salted pot of water to a slow boil. Only place a heaping handful of gnocchi into the pot at a time.
11. You will know when your gnocchi is finished when they rise to the top. Use a strainer and scoop them out.
1. Melt butter over medium-high heat until butter solids are brown. Continuously swirl pan to prevent burning for about 5 minutes.
2. Add chopped sage
3. Remove from heat
4. Season with salt and pepper
5. Saute gnocchi for about 5 minutes
If you would like to taste more menu items from our U of I Student Chefs visit Bevier Cafe.